West Island School Website: http://www.wis.edu.hk
|West Island School is a member of the English Schools Foundation. The School was established in 1991 and is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. As an international secondary school offering iGCSE and IB programmes, we occupy award winning buildings in the Western district of Hong Kong. We serve a stable and established community in the Pokfulam district, with over 1200 students on roll. Our school mission of strength from diversity reflects the considerable achievements of our learners from over 40 different nationalities. Our students progress to the universities of their choice because they achieve highly, are well equipped and are leaders of the future|
Educational Assistant - Individual Needs
SEN students form approximately 12 - 15% of WIS student population from years 7-13. Together with this number, a further 24 students will be admitted to the Learning Centre over three years. The IN Dept needs to provide both in-class and professional support to subjects across the curriculum as well as its own discrete groups of students. The full time EA is required to provide this support on an ongoing basis by working closely with the Senior EA to organize the EA schedule, plan for upcoming events/visits/rotations, mentor and coach EAs and implement programmes under the supervision of the teacher. This is a permanent full-time role which is active for 10.5 months of each year (summer break will be unpaid leave).
• To support intensive and needy SEN students in the development of key skills in discrete groups or within faculties
• To listen to the reading of KS3 students and provide guidance – Reading program
• To support coursework and homework requirements, through discrete lessons, in-class support and liaison with subject teachers
• To follow up students from KS3 – KS5 and support their organizational and academic needs
• To provide differentiated assistance as required by IN and subject teachers
• To provide administrative support for filing, stock taking and display as required
• To induct, liaise and lead the team of Educational Assistants
• Performs other duties and assumes accountabilities as apparent or as delegated, including mutually agreed upon objectives
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
• Preferred but not essential, degree qualifications/qualification related to special education or prior teaching experience of secondary school
• Some experience of international schools and a multi-lingual, multi-ethnic, multicultural classroom
• Some familiarity with language & curriculum demands in secondary schools
• A working knowledge of the use of basic ICT skills – Microsoft Office, Excel, Inspiration and/or a willingness to learn and upskill
• Strong English speaking skills and ability to briefly clarify language for students
• Ability to work in different subject areas and pick up the required competencies to support students, on the job
• Willingness to participate in professional development – internal ( at WIS) and external (ESF)
• Willingness to collaborate with teachers and heads of school
• Ability to manage, liaise and lead the team of part time EAs
• Initiative and enthusiasm for working with students with special needs
• Initiative and drive to perform daily tasks which allow the smooth running of the dept
• A working knowledge of English grammar, academic vocabulary and genre
• An understanding of student’s academic language needs as noted in the IN register
• An understanding of the role and responsibilities of an Educational Assistant in the classroom
• Willingness to create support resources and supplementary work for students where necessary to assist the class teacher (eg., developing writing frames/proformas/taking notes)
• Ability to work in a collaborative team with teachers and support staff
• A flexible approach with difficult students and the ability to foster relationships with students being supported
• Strong communication and organisational skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Willingness to be involved in IN lunchtime activities with students
• Flexibility in coping with the changing needs of the job
Applicants must be a permanent Hong Kong resident or possess a valid visa to work in Hong Kong.
|Closing Date: 25 Jan 2018|
|For enquiries, please contact Margaret Lau at +852 2819 1962 or firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided immediately upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
|Back to Job List|