Island School Website: http://island.edu.hk
|Island School is a secondary school with approximately 1,250 students.|
Please note that Teachers who join Island School will be part of a transformational school redevelopment project. This includes an innovative curriculum, and a completely new purpose built school building. All Staff members will contribute to this development and support the maintenance of the Island School spirit during the transformation. For more information see here.
Head of Biology (TLR3)
The school seeking a full time Head of Biology. The position will be a full-time two years renewable contract starting August 2018.
The successful candidate should be a Biology specialist preferably with some recent IB experience. It would also be an advantage if an additional Science could be offered up to at least IGCSE level. MYP experience would also be an advantage.
The Island School Science Faculty is a dynamic and well organized team consisting of 14 teachers and 9 laboratory staff. There are 13 well equipped labs spread over 2 campuses. The department is lead by an overall Head of Science and individual Heads of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
In Years 7 and 8 students will be following a newly written MYP Science curriculum model. In Year 9 students study a pre IGCSE course integrating some of the concepts and skills that will inspire and guide them in their future studies. In Years 10 and 11, students can choose to study Biology, Chemistry or Physics as separate Edexcel IGCSE’s. They also have the opportunity to study a number of exciting non exam based Science courses designed to prepare them better for their IB studies. Students in Years 12 and 13 can choose SL or HL Biology, Chemistry, Physics or SL Environmental Systems as part of the IB Diploma. The successful candidate would expect to teach mainly on the IB campus.
The Island School Science Faculty aims to provide a stimulating environment which develops inquiring, knowledgeable and deep thinking students in the context of an international and multicultural community. Through the teaching and learning of science, we aim to provide challenging learning opportunities that inspire students to excel. Our programmes of study promote a wide range of activities that offer opportunities for all individuals to reach their full potential and communicate their ideas articulately. To this end, we encourage students to be self-reflective and to take responsibility for their learning. We are committed to supplying a well balanced and demanding curriculum with rigorous assessments. All staff are supported by professional development opportunities to continue to be at the forefront of international education initiatives. The departmental ethos encourages staff and students to be principled, proactive, life-long learners in a caring environment of mutual respect.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of teaching Biology up to IB or A level standard. They will be responsible for all aspects of Biology at IB and IGCSE and will coordinate with the Head of Science for the delivery of Biology in year 9 and MYP. They will lead and manage a team of Biologists and be accountable for the continued development of teaching and learning resources at MYP, IGCSE & IB. The post would suit either an existing Head of Department or an experienced teacher looking for promotion.
The successful candidates should have:
• Appropriate leadership and management skills.
• A willingness to model good practice to improve the quality of teaching and learning in the subject area.
• Be responsible for the evaluation of quality of education for areas of responsibility.
• Contribution to school-wide strategic plans and developments.
• An ability to communicate, advise and consult with staff, leading to improvements in mechanisms, structures and pedagogy within the subject area.
• A relevant degree and postgraduate qualification in teaching.
• An ability to teach Biology to IB Higher Level (or equivalent).
• An ability to teach Biology and possibly another Science up to IGCSE and integrated Science in Years 7, 8 and 9. (Or MYP Science)
• An enthusiastic and innovative approach to Science teaching.
• Excellent communication, organisational, interpersonal and time management skills.
• An ability to integrate ICT into teaching and learning in Science.
• The ability to work as part of a team and supervise the development of new resources within the Faculty.
• The desire and ability to realize the potential of students of all abilities.
• An awareness of current educational developments in Science education worldwide.
• A commitment to pastoral care and extra-curricular activities within the school.
|Closing Date: 24 Nov 2017|
|For enquiries, please contact Betty Tsu at +852 25247135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided immediately upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
|Back to Job List|